Sunday, January 15, 2017

When Cash is not King

 


A number of years ago, my refrigerator
Reached a terminal state, no longer capable of resurrection
I visited an outlet of a national chain
And told the salesman which one I had selected
When he asked for my credit card, I told him I was paying in cash
Which was about 300 dollars for this refrigerator
He was bewildered, obviously having no experience
In cash payments, and sought out the manager
These two disappeared into some back room
Probably to phone the company’s national office
To help resolve their fiscal dilemma
As to whether to accept the $300 in cash which I had offered
In any event, they reappeared about 10 minutes later
With a newly created form, which seemed to be a shortened employment application
Which I was requested to fill out, before they would accept
Cash as payment for a $300 refrigerator
I filled out the form,
 And the deal was complete
Leaving me wondering the truth of the old expression
That cash was king

No comments:

Post a Comment