Monday, September 12, 2016

Harvard Boxing Dreams



While at Harvard I was an active participant in the intramural boxing program
which was run by two fighters who were ex-professionals
On a lark one day I asked one of them if I could ever become a professional
The answer I got was that I had the basic skill but would have to train exhaustively 

The rest of the tale is pure fiction, reflecting an old man's dreams
I never became known as a boxer emerging from Harvard College but
I still believe it would been a wonderful stunt, even if it lasted only three or four fights
The Harvard crowd would come in large numbers to see If I could win, and townies to see the opposite 

Also in my dream was a young lady I'll call Lorelei
Who shared my dream in every possible way
She provided every creature comfort a man could desire
And did not deter my dream despite cat-calls from many a compatriot 

The point of all this is never forget what we once thought possible
It provides  pleasant moments of remembrance from our youthful days
And occasionally I think that had I acted differently
I might just have prevailed in boxing ways

No comments:

Post a Comment