Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Dan Middleman


I have a relative
Dan Middleman by name
Who as a distance runner
Attained considerable fame

When Dan was about seven
He was a member of a soccer team, as I understood quite an ace
Which came to Virginia for a match
And the day before, Dan spent some time at my place 

Thinking Dan might be somewhat nervous
About the forthcoming day
I concluded that a distance run
As a calming agent  might be the best way 

I took Dan to Haines Point
Which when circled was about three miles, perhaps a bit more
I told him if he completed the course
We would then head for the ice cream store  

Dan ran the course
For a seven year old, quite a feat
So we headed for the ice cream store
To complete his treat 

Many years later I attended a meet in which Dan was running
In a Penn Relays 10 kilometer race
I stood at the rail, and shouted " ice cream" as Dan went by
In the hope it would inspire a faster pace 

I don't know whether Dan heard me,
Or whether his running was affected in any way
But in my mind it was the most meaningful
Shout of encouragement on that day
 
Dan became qualified in 1996
As an entrant In the Olympic 10-K race, which he didn't win
I wasn't there that day but had I been present
And able to shout "ice cream", who knows what might have been

No comments:

Post a Comment